About The Renewal Project
The Renewal Project, made possible by Allstate, tells the stories of individuals and organizations who are solving problems in their communities.
As a network of 10,000 small businesses in communities across the country, Allstate knows that good ideas start at the local level. We believe that communities have the power to create their own renewal. The Renewal Project shares the stories of the problem solvers behind that renewal, because we know that a good idea in Charlotte could inspire a great idea in Albuquerque—and vice versa.
It is our hope that more and more people will inspire one another to take action and work together to strengthen their communities.
Since The Renewal Project launched in 2016, we’ve discovered that the very best ideas come from all corners of the country: from a Dallas-area Allstate agency owner who partnered with a Houston family to educate teens about distracted driving, to a Detroit couple who replaced blighted property with a blooming flower farm. They come from the Heartland as well as the far reaches of the country: In Lincoln, Nebraska, we met neighbors who created community by tearing up their lawns and planting crops, and in Honolulu, Hawaii, we heard from a program director who teaches incarcerated women how to use their creative skills to earn a living.
In addition to finding and sharing inspiring stories like these, Allstate rewards nonprofits that are making a difference through The Renewal Awards. Together with The Atlantic, Allstate honors organizations pioneering ground-up solutions to challenges faced by communities around the country. To date, Allstate has given more than $300,000 to organizations through The Renewal Awards.
Help us spread good ideas and support renewal in your community. Here’s how:
- Tell us a story. What people or organizations are solving problems in your hometown? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may feature them in an upcoming story.
- Write the story yourself. We invite community leaders and anyone with a great idea to write about their work for The Renewal Project. Here’s a checklist for submitting an essay to be considered for publication.
- Follow us. You’ll find us on Twitter @TheRenewalProj, Instagram @TheRenewalProject, and Facebook @TheRenewalProject.
- Subscribe to our newsletter. Be the first to hear news from The Renewal Awards and learn more about problem solvers across the country. Sign up here.
- Support a nonprofit through The Renewal Awards. Nominations for the 2020 Renewal Awards are open from October 16 to December 10, 2019. Winners will be announced at the spring 2020 Renewal Summit in Chicago. Five winners each will receive $40,000 in funding over two years from The Atlantic and Allstate; One of the winners will additionally be presented with the Allstate Youth Empowerment Award. Winners of the 2019 Awards were announced on April 3. Click here to nominate a nonprofit or visit The Renewal Awards FAQs to learn more.