Nominate your community to host an innovative forum for civil discourse
The Aspen Institute, Facing History and Ourselves, and Allstate create a town hall to encourage open discussion in a divided country
The Better Arguments Project equips Americans to reach across political, cultural, and economic divides to have arguments that bring us closer together instead of driving us further apart. As a partnership between Facing History and Ourselves, the Aspen Institute’s Program on Citizenship and American Identity, and The Allstate Corporation, the project centers on the simple idea that America doesn’t need fewer arguments, it needs better arguments.
We launched this project out of the recognition that arguments are essential for our democracy. Indeed, America is an argument—between equality and liberty, central and local government, unity and diversity. The more we can equip communities to have arguments rooted both in this history and in best practices of constructive communication, the healthier our country will be.
Visit BetterArguments.org for more background on this initiative.
This project is designed to be practiced around a specific issue. How will we do this? We need YOU!
Over the next year, we will pilot the Better Arguments Project through local forums in select communities around the country. Would you and your community like to host one of our pilot Better Arguments forums? You’re in the right place!
With each partner, the Better Arguments Project will:
- Provide the funding, materials, and training needed to convene community members.
- Offer resources to help successfully lead community members through the forum.
- Facilitate at least one agreed-upon follow-up step.
- Document the experience in a video to be shared.
Our team is seeking partners representing various political parties, big and small towns, rural and urban areas, and most importantly, people from all walks of life. Some key qualities include:
- Individuals or organizations rooted in community
- Ability to convene community members representing a wide range of perspectives
Dates and Deadlines
- Application due April 10, 2018
- Selections made April 24, 2018
Ready to start a Better Argument? For more information:
- Nominate your community by filling out this form.
- Visit BetterArguments.org for more background on this initiative.
- Read our new report: What is a Better Argument?
- Email us with specific questions at email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
The Better Arguments Project is a partnership among Facing History and Ourselves, The Aspen Institute Citizenship and American Identity Program, and The Allstate Corporation. The Renewal Project is made possible by Allstate.