Allstate Foundation launches annual Purple Purse Challenge to support survivors of domestic violence
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. It’s also a month of giving through the Allstate Foundation Purple Purse Challenge, which raises money for nonprofits to support and empower survivors. (The Renewal Project is made possible by Allstate.)
Financial abuse is one of the main reasons victims of domestic violence can’t escape, or return to, their abuser: They don’t have the financial means to break free. Allstate Foundation Purple Purse Challenge, which launches today, raises money to help nonprofit organizations empower domestic violence survivors.
The annual fundraising competition, which ends on Oct. 31, helps nonprofit organizations serving domestic violence survivors around the U.S. raise the most money. Throughout the competition, the more than 220 nonprofits have the opportunity to win incentive funds totaling $700,000 from The Allstate Foundation.
Nonprofits compete in two divisions, one for larger organizations with operating budgets of over $1.5 million, and smaller organizations with operating budgets of $1.5 million and less.
At the end of the challenge, the organizations that raise the most in each division each will win a $100,000 grant to continue their work. At least 12 more organizations will receive grants:
- Second place winners will each win $50,000
- Third place winners will each win $35,000
- Fourth place winners will each win $20,000
- Fifth place winners will each win $15,000
- Sixth place winners will each win $10,000
- Seventh place winners will each win $5,000
There also will be weekly bonus challenges in each division; organizations have the opportunity to win another $115,000.
There are two ways you can donate:
- You can donate to all of the participating nonprofits by going to the Allstate Foundation Purple Purse® Challenge Crowdrise site. Your donation will go to the National Network to End Domestic Violence, which will divide the donation among all the qualified 2017 Allstate Foundation Purple Purse Community Partner nonprofit organizations.
- Or you can donate directly to a participating nonprofit in your community. See the full list of 2017 Purple Purse Challenge Community Partners.
Since 2005, The Allstate Foundation has invested more than $55 million to help end domestic violence and financial abuse by increasing public awareness and funding for local nonprofits that are on the front lines of helping survivors.
Find a domestic violence shelter in your area at www.domesticshelters.org.
If you or someone you know is in a domestic violence situation, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.
The Renewal Project is made possible by Allstate.